Do you need to produce high quality documentation but have never received formal instruction in English grammar? Would you like to use language more effectively in professional contexts and avoid common grammatical errors? Are you interested in learning a foreign language but apprehensive about the terminology used to describe grammatical concepts? This course will help you to gain a better understanding of the language choices we make when we use English language in professional life as well as providing an introduction to grammatical terminology. You will have a greater awareness of the language tools that are utilised to describe and produce accurate and appropriate language in a variety of situations.
The following topics will be covered:
- the grammar terminology used to describe the way language works
- the right degree of formality and how to achieve it
- punctuation conventions in documentation
- the importance of word choice and using synonyms
- complex sentence structures and textual cohesion
- the importance of self-editing your own writing
- resources for helping to make grammatical choices in professional communication.
On completing this course you will be able to:
- identify the parts of speech in a sentence and understand their linguistic use
- use language more effectively in professional communication and be aware of the power of language choices in professional contexts
- avoid common grammatical errors and punctuate text correctly
- draw on a variety of word choices in composing professional documents
- undertake formal learning of a foreign language, especially with regards to understanding grammatical concepts
- be able to quickly consult available sources when producing professional correspondence or documentation.