Policy development, including policy writing, is an important component for articulating and defining the objectives and obligations of an organisation, and how the organisation will achieve these in various circumstances. It is not the same as planning and setting strategic goals, but good policies are needed to underpin the behaviours required to ensure that long-term goals are met. This course will look at the policy development cycle, and the drafting/writing process. It will cover planning and organising as well as the principles of clear writing, and participants will be involved in a practical exercise.
The following topics will be covered:
- what is policy?
- policy versus procedure
- difference between procedures, guidelines and rules
- the need for policies
- limitations of policies and procedures
- policy development cycle including: identifying the need for policy; analysis (research, scope and options); consultation; approval for the proposed policy; communication; implementation and evaluation
- drafting a policy: planning, organising and principles of clear writing
- writing a policy
- peer critiquing: why do it? rules of peer critiquing; ABCD of receiving feedback; critiquing draft policies.
On completing this course you will be able to:
- define the difference between policy, procedures, guidelines and rules
- understand the policy development process, including the planning process for writing
- develop a framework for implementing policy
- draft a policy using key principles of clear writing, as well as some tips on common grammatical and punctuation errors to avoid
- undertake peer critiquing in the workplace.
Very helpful - I can now visualise what changes need to made to our policies and procedures.
|We will provide you with:
||Course Notes, a Certificate of Completion and refreshments during the day, including a light lunch on full day courses.
|You are encouraged to bring:
||Current workplace examples related to this topic for use in course exercises.
|You might also be interested in:
|Need customised training for your organisation?
||Contact Jo Carrick to discuss tailoring this course to meet your needs or find out more about our tailored training services.
|Are you enrolling on behalf of others?
||Enrol others now.
|Are you University of Adelaide Staff?
||Enrol using a University of Adelaide account code now.